Monday 1 February 2021

Y13: Lamia | Lesson 1

'The Kiss of the Enchantress' by
Isobel Lilian Gloag, inspired by
Keats's Lamia (1890)
Hello Year 13,

 

Let’s get cracking with Keats’s Lamia: it’s over 700 lines long, it’s packed with classical allusions, it’s confusing as hell – but we’ve saved the best till last. (Not sure I 100% agree with that. I’m still deciding.) Here we go…

 

This lesson, you’re going to work through this powerpoint (download using the link or view below) which contains links to all the resources you’ll need.

 

You’ll also need your anthology and some paper to make notes. The lesson may take just over an hour, so I guess there’s a bit of independent learning in there too. I’ll try to be snappier in future.

 

In this introductory lesson, you’ll get a reminder of some key Keatsian ideas, some background, some annotations for the opening lines, and, of course, a quiz. Enjoy!

 

There are plenty of useful websites to help you if you get stuck with this poem. Here are some good ones I’ve found. I’ll add them to the ‘links’ section down the right of the screen later:

 

 

I’ll be back on Wednesday with a lesson to take you to the end of the opening section (the first 150 lines) of Lamia.

 

See you later,

 

Mr M

No comments:

Post a Comment