Thursday 7 January 2021

Y12: Lockdown Lit 1.2 | Annotating LBDSM

Oh hi!

Today, I’m going to give you an in-depth analysis of La Belle Dame Sans Merci and ask you to annotate your copy of the poem, if you have one. If not, print one if you can (download it here). If you can’t, watch the video anyway and come back to annotate when you’ve received your anthology.

 

Disclaimer:

I’m still new to recording myself. The video is longer than I intended. I need to buy a microphone. I waffle on a lot. I can only apologise. (I advise you to speed me up to 1.2x, or even 1.5x!)

 

The video comes in two parts:

Part One

Part Two

 

I’m also going to share this study guide to the poem. There are plenty of resources and notes on this poem online, but this is pretty comprehensive:

 

Finally, a challenge! Get to work at the task of learning this poem by heart.

This old blogpost of mine gives you some tips and resources to help you do it.

 

That’s it for today. Next week, I’ll be teaching you about metre, rhythm, rhyme and scansion. To appreciate Keats’s artistry, we need to understand and experience the constraints he placed upon himself in working within traditional poetic forms. To this end, I’ll be getting you to have a go at writing in each of the forms which he utilised in the four poems we’ll be studying. Exciting, eh?

 

Until then, take care.

 

Mr M

No comments:

Post a Comment