Thursday 14 May 2020

Lockdown Literature 6

Hi folks,

Thanks for all the essays I’ve received so far. They’re looking good. I intend to write one as well; I’ll share it when I’ve got them all marked. If you still owe me an essay, make sure I get it today, please.

Today, we get cracking into Keats’s sensual masterpiece, The Eve of St Agnes. Maybe it’s not as weird and grotesque as Isabella, or as perfect as the Odes, or as full of ideas as Lamia, but this is one beautiful, lyrical piece of writing. I don’t think I really got it at uni, but the opening lines were imprinted on my brain, word-for-word, for 20 years before I finally got to teach it. If you can, read it out loud – it sounds amazing. I hope you enjoy it!

Here’s today’s work (to be completed by Monday):

1) Find out about who Saint Agnes was
Make some notes. Make sure you understand the traditions associated with her feast day. These websites will help you:


2) Read the additional contextual information about St Agnes, Keats’s relationships with women, and the origins of the poem on this document:




As you know, there will be a quiz next week!

3) Read and annotate lines 1-75 of The Eve of St Agnes. You can find my annotations here, or use this or this. There is a lot of stuff online to help you with this poem. This study guide looks particularly useful; it contains a commentary and sections on themes, poetic form and methods.

4) Make a copy of (or download) this The Eve of St Agnes on a page document and fill in these sections:



That’s it for now. Don’t forget to get email your Section C essays as soon as possible. I’ll be back on Monday with a quiz and more work on the poem.

Thanks,

Mr M


P.S. I’m finishing the Keats bio today and the final chapters are bloody heartbreaking! That guy is tragedy personified!

No comments:

Post a Comment